As a member of the Independent Media Association, Phoenix Media Co-operative won “International Reporting of the Year” at the 2022 Independent Media Awards.
Here’s a look back at some of the best international reporting during our first year of existence.
5 prominent stories
In 2021, Israel once again attacked Gaza. And we sought to amplify voices opposing the ongoing aggression of the Israeli regime.
Palestinian campaigner slams US for ‘not caring about law, humanity, or democracy’ as Israel bombs Gaza
People in Colombia, meanwhile, rose up against injustice and inequality. But state forces met mass protests with brutal repression. We spoke to people on the ground to help spread their message of resistance.
We also looked at how people have used culture to speak out against unjust social and political orders in Asia.
The Western arms trade
Opposing the arms trade – a business of mass destruction – is very close to our hearts.
After Russia’s 2022 invasion of Ukraine, we spoke to civilians in affected countries to share their thoughts.
For some more international stories, please check out the following:
- The ‘truth-speaking’ of US mainstream media has gone ‘out of the window’ under Joe Biden
- Indigenous women rally in Argentina after historic walk against Earth’s destruction
- Kicking out the IMF: Bolivia recovers and learns after defeating Western-backed coup regime
- ‘El estallido social’ – 18 months of Chile’s social insurrection in words and pictures
- Campaign events aim to champion workers’ rights in the fight against sweatshops
- Hostages on their own land. Chile is waging war on the indigenous community
- UK Conservative Party received £471k from company linked to Venezuelan opposition
We also suggest a look at our in-depth pieces covering a range of important topics from different regions around the world:
- Rojava (NE Syria)
- A brief history of international resistance to the G7
- Ethiopia’s war plays key role in world’s ‘worst hunger crisis’ in years
- Coups, mass protests and Western military intervention in Mali
Please also check out our weekly Real Media / Phoenix Media Co-op newsletter. Let us know of any stories and issues you’d like to see more of, remember to subscribe on YouTube, and please consider donating to help us carry on our work.